Unrescuable Schizo feature: Check out our FAVORITE 30 SONGS OF THE 2000S.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

How's about some Christmas tunes

Three quick thoughts on Christmas music:

1. My favorite Christmas song is probably David Bowie & Bing Crosby doing "Little Drummer Boy", followed by Bruce Springsteen's classic "Santa Claus is Coming to Town".

2. The worst Christmas song of all-time is Paul McCartney's "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time". This song, like most of McCartney's solo shit, is terrible, with awful keyboards and lyrics that are happy to be the point of being stupid.

3. I still can't believe the lyric in Band Aid's "Do They Know It's Christmas?" where Bono sings, "Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you." Yay! Let's celebrate! People in the world are suffering and dying! And it's not us! Woohoo!

And now, some mp3s... (yes, I'm being ironic with most of these selections...)

MP3: New Kids on the Block - Funky, Funky Xmas
MP3: Wham! - Last Christmas
MP3: Weird Al Yankovic - Christmas at Ground Zero
MP3: Alvin & the Chipmunks - The 12 Days of Christmas
MP3: Johnny Cash - Silent Night
MP3: David Bowie & Bing Crosby - Little Drummer Boy
MP3: Run DMC - Christmas in Hollis

And holy crap, look what I just unearthed... a live performance of "Funky, Funky Xmas" from the Arsenio Hall show!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bono didn't write the lyrics for "Do They Know It's Christmas?" and he initially refused to sing that part. Ironically, his voice is the only match for it and after much pleading, he gave in.

Scott said...

That's interesting... at least Bono is absolved of blame. They should've given that line to Andrew Ridgeley.

BeckEye said...

Ah ha ha ha....I feel EXACTLY the same way about #s 2 and 3. Like EXACTLY. Like to the point where you just reached in my head and pulled out the exact thoughts.

I understand what they meant in the Band Aid song (like be thankful for what you have, yadda yadda) but it just comes out completely wrong. And delivered by Bono it's even odder. Or more odd. Whatever.

Scott said...

On occasion I like to exercise my powers of telepathy.

BeckEye said...

Well, actually I like some of Paul McCartney's solo stuff. I think "Maybe I'm Amazed" is fantastic, and there are a few others I dig. But on the whole, you're right, it's not great. But that Christmas song is AWFUL. I said that to someone recently and they flipped out and acted like it was the greatest thing ever recorded. Some people are insane.