Unrescuable Schizo feature: Check out our FAVORITE 30 SONGS OF THE 2000S.

Monday, June 23, 2008

If he writes hits, you must acquit



I missed this while I was away at Bonnaroo: R. Kelly was recently acquitted on all counts in his underage sex trial.

I have no opinion on this. It's no secret Kelly has a history - in 1994 he secretly married Aaliyah when she was 15 (how was that legal?) But I don't know the particulars of this case, and evidently the jury didn't have enough evidence to convict despite the alleged existence of a videotape.

The thing I love most is that after Kelly was charged, instead of sitting back and laying low, he continued to record music, and even released some of his most sexually explicit songs. "Ignition" came out not long after he was charged. He also put out the unintentionally hilarious "Trapped in the Closet" video series. He lived in his own parallel universe where he pretended he wasn't in any sort of trouble, and he pushed the "innocent until proven guilty" thing to the limit.

This probably won't affect his music career much. Except that I'm betting he won't be able to do Disney songs and Celine Dion duets anymore.

No comments: