Unrescuable Schizo feature: Check out our FAVORITE 30 SONGS OF THE 2000S.

Friday, May 16, 2008

Seriously? Pittsburgh gets a music festival

And it's only a few blocks from my apartment! The New American Music Union Festival (or NAMUF, as those of us in the know refer to it) was announced today. Nobody had any idea it was coming... how did they keep this under wraps?

The festival was created by Anthony Kiedis with (gasp) American Eagle Outfitters. The lineup clearly isn't going to compete with any of the major summer festivals, but as Pittsburgh concerts go, this one is pretty amazing. Seeing Bob Dylan perform on the South Side is going to be pretty incredible. I'm not a fan of the Raconteurs or Gnarls Barkley, but Spoon and The Roots are great scores.

I have no earthly idea where they're going to put the stages - the South Side Works isn't big enough to hold something like this. Unless they do it over by the Steelers' practice facility further down the river...

Nonetheless, this is very exciting music news for our city... we're actually getting some summer concerts that aren't just country and classic rock!

6 comments:

Brian NAC said...

The parking lot next to McCormick and Shcmicks. Holds about 10,000 people.

Aren't you gonna be at All Points West with me that weekend?

Scott said...

I decided to sell my APW tickets since every band I was going there to see is also playing Lollapalooza. And I may need the money so I can attend Bonnaroo.

Hughshows said...

10,000 doesn't seem like a major crowd to me. That's a smaller capacity than Point State Park can hold, no? Anybody know where I can score a student I.D,?

Scott said...

Yeah, that is rather cozy. They probably kept it small to ensure a sellout. Let's hope the people of Pittsburgh don't let us down. If it sells out, it could become an annual thing...

Deena said...

Sweet! I can afford it, thanks to Duquesne not putting an expiry date on my student ID.

BeckEye said...

Damn, that sounds cool. It's right after I get back from vacation though, so I don't know if I could swing a trip back to the 'Burgh.

I love Spoon and the Raconteurs are pretty cool.