Unrescuable Schizo feature: Check out our FAVORITE 30 SONGS OF THE 2000S.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

We're off to Lollapalooza 2008



We're off to Lollapalooza. This year's lineup features an incredible group of headliners, but down the bill, the lineup isn't as deep as it has been in the past.

I'm ready for CSS to make up for last year, when they canceled at the last minute due to flight problems, leaving me devastated. If they cancel again, Lovefoxxx will be dead to me.

It's also Kanye West's shot at redemption, following his widely-panned half-performance at Bonnaroo. Chicago is his hometown, so I have no doubt he'll deliver.



There is rampant speculation that Barack Obama is going to make an appearance, perhaps to introduce either Wilco or Kanye West, both prominent Obama supporters. I will lose my shit if this happens. We're not going to see Wilco, though, so we might end up missing him.

Last year there were a ton of conflicts - bands I really liked playing opposite each other. This year, that is not the case. In fact, since I can skip Gnarls Barkley and the Raconteurs because I'll be seeing them a week later at the New American Music Union Festival, I have no significant conflicts at all. The biggest conflicts I can come up with are Black Lips vs. Holy Fuck and Brand New vs. Explosions in the Sky.



Scott's most anticipated acts:
1. Radiohead
2. Kanye West
3. CSS
4. Okkervil River
5. Gogol Bordello
6. MGMT
7. Rage Against the Machine
8. The Go! Team
9. Girl Talk
10. The National



Deena's most anticipated acts:
1. Nine Inch Nails
I've never seen a Nine Inch Nails performance, and I'm really excited about hearing tracks from The Slip as well as (hopefully) some older material.
2. Bloc Party
Their new song, "Mercury," is a slightly different direction than previous Bloc Party, but definitely good. Hoping these guys pack a good live show.
3. Rage Against The Machine
I'm stoked about seeing such a powerhouse band at a big festival show--can't wait to see the atmosphere of the crowd, and I hope I can get close enough to the stage without getting my ass kicked...
4. Girl Talk
I am going to dance my ass off when I see this guy.
5. Gnarls Barkley/The Raconteurs
Since the New American Music Union Festival in Pittsburgh sold out and I didn't get tickets, I'm definitely going to have to split up from Scott to catch these performances. Both have notable recent albums that I really enjoy.
6. "Special DJ Sets" by VHS or Beta and Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Since I've never been to Lolla, I'm not exactly sure what these DJ sets are all about, but I enjoy both of these electro-rock groups and am curious to see what these sets could bring.
7. Toadies
Back from the vaults! The Toadies, one of those forgettable bands from the early 90s who hit it semi-big with the single "Possum Kingdom," are reuniting for Lollapalooza. I always liked their southern goth-rock sound of their album Rubberneck.
8. The Weakerthans
For some reason I looked at my schedule at least a dozen times before I noticed that The Weakerthans were going to be at Lolla. Looking forward to their Canadian indie pop-punk.
9. Flogging Molly
What's not to like about an Irish punk band? Hopefully I'll be able to find a Guinness tent nearby.
10. Mark Ronson
This may or may not be good, since Ronson is more of a producer than an artist himself. I love Version, but unless he gets a star-studded cast on stage to perform it, I'm not sure his performance will be as noteworthy as I want it to be.

And finally, a few MP3s from Lolla acts...
MP3: Girl Talk - Hands in the Air (from Feed the Animals)
MP3: Gogol Bordello - Wonderlust King (from Taranta)
MP3: CSS - Rat is Dead (Rage) (from Donkey)
MP3: Battles - Ddiamond (from Mirrored)
MP3: Iron & Wine - Innocent Bones (from The Shepherd's Dog)

No comments: