Unrescuable Schizo feature: Check out our FAVORITE 30 SONGS OF THE 2000S.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Recent listening: What a Catch, Donnie



I'm not overwhelmed by the new Fall Out Boy album, but one track has grabbed me - "What a Catch, Donnie." It's a song that starts out as a slow piano ballad, with the chorus "I've got troubled thoughts and the self esteem to match."

Three minutes in, out of nowhere, Elvis Costello appears to sing a verse. Then, the song takes off into a soaring final chorus, with appearances from an all-star cast of emo characters - Brendan Urie of Panic at the Disco, Travis McCoy of Gym Class Heroes, William Beckett of The Academy Is..., Gabe Saporta of Cobra Starship, and others. While FOB singer Patrick Stump continues singing the chorus, the guest vocalists take turns singing lyrics from previous Fall Out Boy songs in the background.

As Amanda Palmer once sang, "Don't tell me not to reference my songs within my songs!"

It's a clever idea, and it's well done.

Video: Fall Out Boy - What a Catch, Donnie (unauthorized fan video)

No comments: