Unrescuable Schizo feature: Check out our FAVORITE 30 SONGS OF THE 2000S.

Friday, March 20, 2009

Indie Rock March Madness 2009



The folks over at We Listen For You have put together their second annual Indie Rock March Madness bracket. This is a cool idea. Put together 64 bands and have them compete at the same time as the NCAA basketball tourney.

You can see the entire bracket here. Go over there and vote for your favorites. Or, do what I do and fill out your own bracket to see who your personal winner is. Here's a rundown of my Elite 8, using their bracket:

RADIOHEAD REGIONAL:
Deerhunter(5) vs. Deerhoof (8): This was by far the lamest bracket for me. I couldn't care less about most of these bands. This matchup is a tossup, but I'll go with Deerhunter to move into the Final Four.

FLAMING LIPS REGIONAL:
Fleet Foxes(1) vs. Vampire Weekend(6): Vampire Weekend vs. MIA in the first round? No fair! I love MIA, Okkervil River, Fiery Furnaces, and Of Montreal, but this bracket comes down to Vampire Weekend vs. Fleet Foxes. Vampire Weekend wins easily.

LCD SOUNDSYSTEM REGIONAL:
Kanye West(1) vs. Sigur Ros(11): Some great acts in this bracket as well - Cat Power, Arcade Fire, Yeah Yeah Yeahs (I'm loving their new album), Cut Copy and No Age. If you know anything about my musical taste, you know I'm going with Sigur Ros to win this regional.

WILCO REGIONAL:
MGMT(3) vs. Girl Talk(4): Of the 8 teams in the top half of this regional, six of them I absolutely love - TV On the Radio, MGMT, The Mae Shi, Antony & the Johnsons, Bon Iver and Crystal Castles. Stacking them all in the same region is super-lame. But I have to pick MGMT to emerge from that bunch. They advance to the Elite Eight but lose to Girl Talk.

FINAL FOUR:

Vampire Weekend wipes the floor with Deerhunter, while Sigur Ros edges Girl Talk. And in the finals, Sigur Ros knocks off Vampire Weekend to win my March Madness tourney. What a surprise.

No comments: